Ever wonder what you should know before hiring an interior designer?
Lets say you have a project in your home or office and you kinda sorta know what you kinda sorta want, but you have no idea of where to start. This is a great reason to hire an Interior designer but before you do, here are some Things you should know before hiring an Interior designer.
Here’s a list of Things you should know before you hiring an Interior designer.
- All projects start with a consultation of some sort. Generally the consultation is not free, and can range anywhere from $100.00 an hour up to 500.00 an hour depending on the area you live. A consultation is where you get to know each other, the designer learns about the project and you can decide if you are both ready to move forward.
- If you are thinking about hiring an Interior Designer for a remodel or new construction hire them before your contractor and architect. So many people don’t hire an ID until they are well into the building phase and by then a lot of what you want to do with a designer is too late.
- Be prepared with a budget.
- Have realistic expectations of when you would like to have the job completed, Interior Design can take time
- Have an open mind
- Remember you are paying a professional for their opinion.
- Trust the designer you have hired and try not to take over, you hired them for a reason let them do their job.
- You don’t have to do anything they say if you don’t like the proposal. But you still have to pay them for their design fee.
- Designers charge for their services in many different ways. Hourly, flat rate, by square footage, cost plus a %. More times than not they will charge a combination of ways. You can read more about how I charge here. https://eventanddecorconcepts.com/interior-design/ All this should be clear when you sign an agreement with them.
- Its a collaborative effort, there will be times when you need to give feedback, be honest and reply quickly, if you don’t respond in a timely manner it just slows down the process.
- respect boundaries, trust me there isn’t anything they can do at 10:00 at night that can’t wait until the next morning.
- be up front if there is anything you really love or anything you really hate.
- have fun!!! This is supposed to be fun! Gone are the days of stuffy Interior Design. This is the most important tip I can offer.
So what are you waiting for? Make the call.
In case you want a little more of a breakdown here is an excellent interview with an Interior Designer . https://www.jennikayne.com/ripandtan/what-you-need-to-know-before-hiring-an-interior-designer